Dr. Charles Heller - A Forensic Psychology Expert who specializes in conducting custody evaluations, providing the review and analysis of potentially mitigating circumstances in connection with criminal behavior and providing consultation to attorneys regarding civil litigation.
Dr. Heller is a practicing licensed Psychologist with Court experience and has been qualified by Federal and New York State Court, as well as the Superior Court for the state of New Jersey as a Psychologist expert witness.
- Many years of faculty and agency experience
- Well known and respected among his colleagues as a clinician and as an expert witness
- He is the forensic psychologist consultant to the Rockland County, New York courts. He provides custody evaluations, juvenile delinquency and child neglect evaluations upon referral from Family and Supreme court
- Performs independent custody evaluations and consultation
- Successful rebuttal witness to questionable syndrome evidence such as CSAAS and Intrafamilial child sexual abuse syndrome
- Provides testimony regarding interview protocols for assessment of children found to have been sexually abused and those alleged to have been sexually abused
- Provides Contra reports in regard to unfavorable custody evaluations
- Serves as an Independent Medical Examiner to analyze and assess personal injury related to accidents and trauma and provide forensic evaluations and expert testimony in both civil and criminal courts.
- He is an examiner for the New York State Department of Disability Determinations and performs evaluations for mental disability, intellectual disability and organic brain disability associated with the full range of disorders including alcohol and substance abuse problems
- He has delivered numerous professional speeches and his volunteer clinical supervisory and professional actvities have been recognized by agencies he has helped
His forensic specialties include:
- Custody evaluations that assess factors of domestic violence, parental alienation, traumatic bonding, emotional attachment and parental capacity in regard to the best interests of the child.
- Evaluations of defendants in regard to criminal behavior, including competency and discovering the hidden factors that contributed to a criminal act. Providing testimony regarding protocols for forensic interviewing of children and adolescents in child sexual abuse cases, the factors that may cause children and adolescents to make delayed disclosure of abuse, and other factors that may cause impaired memory or false allegations, including issues of recantation and secondary gain.
- Evaluation of plaintiffs in civil cases, record review and consultation to the legal team regarding standards of care, emotional pain and suffering, trauma as well as the probable future mental health treatment plan and cost caused by the emotional, mental or cognitive injuries.
He received his PhD from the University of Wisconsin with a dissertation entitled: "Criminal Behavior and Arousal: Test of a Theory," He presented a paper at the APA annual meeting: "Criminal Behavior, Individual Differences and Emotional Implications". Received a Post-Doctoral certificate in Family Forensics, after successfully completing a two year advanced training program at the Washington Square Institute. in advanced issues related to performing custody/family forensic evaluations.
Services provided by Dr. Heller include:
- child custody and visitation evaluations
- psychological testing
- family and custody evaluations
- training for professionals
- individual therapy
- family therapy
- behavior management programs
- brief therapies
- agency consultation
- staff training and clinical supervision of other therapists
- treatment for law enforcement personnel for alcohol and emotional problems
- American Psychological Association
- The American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, Clinical Member
- The Virginia Satir Avanta Network
- Leadership Rockland, Class of 2001-2002
- New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers